From now on you can rate mods without a Populous Online account. The same rules applies: Only one rating per person (PC) is accepted. If you attempt to rate a mod again the old rating will be replaced by the new one. The detection is not IP based so multiple ratings are accepted from the same IP. We reserve the right to delete ratings and restore the registration-only system if we detect cheating on a massive scale.
As the subscribers of the Populous Online YouTube Channel probably already noticed, there are some updates. There weren’t much updates since 8 months, most of the previews of Block 2 were also missing. So I’ve been re-cut the video, recorded new parts and uploaded it. It’s a bit long, exactly as long as the entire Populous soundtrack, so you can hear it during the video, including the menu music. But that’s not all, you can also see the first preview video of Block 3, level 17: Cold Welcome. You weren’t see this level in the live previews. I’ll upload the previews of new levels as soon as the level reaches the stage of public showcase so subscribe to our YouTube channel today to be notified immediately. There’s also one more thing to notice: Users has started to make Devil Worlds videos. To feature them in the official channel I’ve created a playlist “Devil Worlds unofficial” and collected those videos there. If you got a video I didn’t found yet just drop a comment here with the video link and I’ll add it right away.
To compensate the delay of Block 3 we’ll open the Public Beta with 5 levels (the cold ones) and add the rest (the asteroids) later. Hope to see you soon as a Beta test participant once again.
An update has been released for the Mod Manager and the Devil Worlds mod (Mod Manager version only), changes:
- Skin reloading is much faster.
- Open Skin support for those interested in making a skin. We’ll offer you a template skin soon that you can edit.
- Fixed a bug that caused the Mod Manager to think that the skin is corrupt if you exited from The Beginning window last time.
- Fixed Allies Torn Apart, now the Dakini will kill the Matak Shaman as intended.
- A well placed backdoor to Dakini could break ISC on Evil Land, it’s now been corrected.
- Dakini’s Stone Head will now rise much later, 15 minutes before they actually going to worship it on Evil Land so you can’t steal it early.
- Small balance change on Evil Land: The Chumara totem will now rise 2 minutes earlier but you have 2 extra minutes to get it – this gives you a little advantage to prepare for the fight but also increases the frequency of the reappear.
- Adjused ISC on Allies Torn Apart and Evil Land to use half of the CPU time used earlier, improving performance on old PCs.
It’s the last major beta release before the final version with extra features and bug fixes. The full changelog:
- Open Folder is now available. It’s a special testing area for developers to try mods just like if they were in the Mod Manager. It’s also useable to play mods that weren’t submitted to the main mods area, like Age of Chaos. A detailed tutorial about how to use this feature will be available soon, until that read the config.txt within SPPacks\openfolder
- Public Game Monitor. If you’re hosting a Public Game and waiting for players now you can do whatever you want with your computer without missing the players who joined your game. Just minimize the game, the Mod Manager will display the current number of players and the game status. It also play sound by default when a new player join your game but this can be disabled in the Options menu. Please note that this feature will only alert you when players join via the Public Game list, Direct joins are not registered by the server so they don’t count as players.
- A bug has been fixed that allowed you to return to the main screen while the game was still running.
- Fixed the Public Game registration and un-registration problems with The Beginning and Undiscovered Worlds, now you can play the original game properly via the Mod Manager.
- Fixed a bug caused I/O errors when clicking through Standalone Levels too quickly.
- Querying the online Mods, Skins and Standalone Levels list is now three times faster because it’s done with one query instead of three.
- Changed the annoying popup notification of new Standalone Levels to a download icon that appears next to the level heightmap.
In addition, check out the two new Standalone Levels submitted by our most active developer Impboy. Please note that the order of the level list is depending on your file system (the order of the list is the order the Mod Manager finds the files and the Online list is appended to the end), so after downloading a new content it may move up above already installed levels, it’s normal.
It’s time to announce that we reached the magic number of 1000 files in our Image Gallery. It’s time to check it out! You can contribute aswell by uploading your screenshots, just click Upload Files in the top navigation bar. Please upload jpeg, gif and png only, there can be problems with bmp (pop takes screenshots in bmp). If you’re uploading a screenshot of a Mod Manager level or mod type the level name to the Level Name field so when your screenshot is apporved it will appear on the detailed info page of the level.
Additionally a hotfix has been released for the Mod Manager fixing the File Error dialog when hosting IP games, also now it returns you to the section where you launched the game upon exiting. It now also downloads the level descriptions for new Standalone Levels. Also a new Standalone Level is released, one of the “minimaps” from the long gone Populous Downloader so now you can have fun in an infinite uber hole once again. It can be played in LAN Multiplayer too (just like in the original) however since the Standalone Levels feature is designed for Single Player levels you can’t play it via the Public Games service or direct IP game.
A major update is coming for the Mod Manager with many cool features. Upon user request the program will be able to launch Populous: The Beginning and Undiscovered Worlds (if you got it) so you can access the original game and mods via a single shortcut. In addition, you can host Public Games on the original Multiplayer levels (and Undiscovered Worlds if you and the users willing to join got it) so if you want to have a quick match with your friends who didn’t got the MatchMaker you can now do it. Please note that unlike for mods, the Mod Manager won’t check the original game so all modifications will remain in place. This may cause problems in Multiplayer when levels or constants are modified. (Please note that games played via the Public Games service doesn’t count towards your MatchMaker rating!)
The second major feature is the Standalone Levels. Many developers do a few levels only, if you’re one of them it’s time to submit your levels as the Mod Manager will now be able to manage levels don’t belong to a mod. The levels are collected to a level list with previews and descriptions, downloading and updating levels are automatic and happens in the background. If you play a level once it’ll be saved to your computer so you can play it anytime offline.
Also the feedback module will be launched where anyone can send feedbacks for every mod, skin, standalone level and for the Mod Manager itself. Feedbacks will be delivered to the Developer Centre where the content owner will be able to read them. Optionally you can leave your e-mail address so the developer may contact you when needed to sort things out.
- Fixed all the Minimize bug, now you can’t hang the program when minimized in any way.
- Updated Public Games registration window allows you to decide if you want to register your game or not, enter a name and select the expansion to host (TB/UW/mod) in one step.
- Constants now can be pulled from the Library to the Normal and Strong mode slots.
- Save Game Isolation seperates saved games on each mod to prevent crash when a save loaded that didn’t belong to the loaded mod and to let you use all 8 slots for all of your mods. Those who download the program for the first time, migrate from the Devil Worlds Launcher or got Devil Worlds only won’t notice anything, the isolation is automatic. Those who got multiple mods installed will have to select which mod each saved game belongs. This choice is permanent, since mappack files are encrypted there’s no way to restore saved games associated to the wrong mod!
- New rating icon for new mods that didn’t received a rating yet so it’s no longer the same as the worst rating.
- New cool icon for the program.
- Small bug fix related to Strong mode.
- Update: Fixed a bug that prevented starting the Mod Manager when the settings file is corrupt. Additionally the default settings are now supplied within the full download so you’ll no longer get the “Settings corrupt” message upon the first start.
- Update 2: The Survey system is replaced by the Feedback system
- Update 2: Fixed a bug caused skins got corrupted during an update apart from the default. Please note that due to this only the latest Mod Manager is receiving skins and skin updates
While preparing for the launch of the new version the Update system will be shut down, when it happens we’ll post a Breaking News. Once the system is back you’ll be able to download the latest Mod Manager, Library, skins and the updated mods that uses the new features of the Library. During the maintenance you won’t be able to download and update the Devil Worlds Launcher and the Mod Manager and downloading new mods won’t be possible so you can only play the mods you’ve already downloaded. Additionally, your approved content list won’t appear in the Developer Centre. The Public Games service and the rest of the website, including the Library and content submission will work as usual.
Update: The maintenance is over and Beta 2 is available.
Since the Galaxy skin is no longer compatible with this version it’s unavailable until the owner creates the new buttons.
The skin templates for the current version of the Mod Manager is available in three format: PSD, TIF and GIF! Please note that the progam only works with GIFs so the transparency will be rendered to the final image. PSD and TIF files contain layers so you will find every images and buttons in the place you’ll see them in the program. You can change the transparency or the shape of the buttons just like if you’re editing it within the program. To set specific component colors like texts, titles, component borders and background colors, please fill the boxes in the image file. If you are done just upload the PNG, TIF or GIF file to the Developer Centre and as soon as it’s approved it will appear on the Skin List. Please note that plain skins (without graphics in the background) and graphic skins will appear on a seperate list but you can create both and they’ll be distributed in one file, therefore installing an unsupported Windows theme won’t fall back to the default skin. Only Plain skins are supported on old Windows versions (9x, ME, 2000) and on certain Windows XP themes.
We’ll write more instructions and help on a specific page where you’ll find detailed information, guides and hints.
Until that, you can download the templates here: PSD, TIF, GIF Links are out of date!
If you have any question, feel free to contact us!
From now on you can rate the mods featured in the Mod Manager by visiting the Single Player maps page of the mod. You’ll see a rating box below the download link where you can rate the mod as Bad (empty star), Average (bronze star), Good (silver star) or Excellent (gold star). The ratings are averaged and rounded to the closest value. The star of the final rating of each mod is displayed in the Mod Manager on the mod selection screen. Mods received no ratings yet will display an empty star. To prevent massive cheating with ratings only registered users can rate mods and each user can rate a mod once. If you attempt to rate a mod again the old rating will be updated to your new rating.
We’re preparing for the opening of the next Public Beta of the Solar System of Devil Worlds. Since this is the first time we’ll run several Beta tests and offer you playable previews in paralell (Mod Manager, Block 3 and Hard Mode) I have to prepare and test the system so the opening of the next Beta test planned on Tuesday will be seamless and free of major service disruption. As a result some services of the Website, the Devil Worlds Launcher and the Mod Manager will be unavailable on Saturday starting from 16:00 CET (10:00 AM EST) for approximately 2 hours. During the maintenange the Updates section of the Devil Worlds Launcher and the Mod Manager can’t be accessed, the Mod Manager won’t list the mods that are not downloaded previously and you won’t be able to download the Devil Worlds Launcher and the Mod Manager from the Website. The rest of the Website and the Public Games service will work. Please apologise for any incovenience this may cause, hope to see you soon in the upcoming Beta tests.
Update: After a short delay the system is now back up and running. Please update your program (Launcher or Mod Manager) to the latest version otherwise there will be problems launching the Beta pack on Tuesday.
If I’m being honest I didn’t think it would succeed, towards the middle of the Project GODUS kickstarter campaign I thought to myself, ‘clearly they’re just clutching at straws now’. Especially where it came to the cliché ‘NEW’ stamp they decided to put on the front page video.
If you’re not quite sure what I’m talking about, go over and have a look at the campaign page; it’s a game thought up by one of the founders of Bullfrog himself, going back to the good old days when the God genre of gaming was in its prime. Specifically I’m talking about the likes of Populous, Dungeon Keeper and Black & White.
The kickstarter campaign has been a turbulent experience for them since the beginning and I am glad that it has ended up succeeding, simply because I’m tremendously excited about the potential GODUS has to offer for this genre of gaming. Taking note of the similarity that GODUS has to Populous: The Beginning and previous games, Populous Online will be closely following its development.
News and information will appear along side our usual Devil Worlds updates, Populous news and gaming related news.
The Populous-Online forums will be returning, we’re looking into a way of merging the system with the new site and linking it up to the user account system we have here. It’ll be a good place for you all to share any screenshots, stories, suggestions and criticisms you have for the team about Devil Worlds or anything else you have in mind.
Keep an eye out in the top menu bar!