Welcome to Populous! If you want to play online, you should do the following:
- Install Populous. If you already have, skip this.
- Install a patch. If you downloaded the game it might not be needed, however if you installed it from CD you will need to. Look at our downloads page for the patches. Just launch the game and check the bottom left corner of the main menu. If there is the word ‘final’ you need a patch, if it tells you Version 1.01 or 1.03 you don’t need one (they are compatible).
- Install Populous Reincarnated Matchmaker. You can download it from this page (outside of Populous Online). You can scroll down that page to read up on how to use the MatchMaker.
- Run the MatchMaker and register an account by clicking on the new user button.
- Log in with your newly created account and you will be taken to the lobby where you can chat, create games or join to other’s games.
- Go to the Mods (or Mappacks) tab of the MatchMaker to download new maps (you can get the maps made by Populous Online called Devil Worlds). When hosting new games you are able to choose a mappack to play by clicking the Install button on the Mods tab and then the map itself in the ingame lobby screen. If someboby who joined the game doesn’t have the mappack you selected he will be prompted to allow or deny the automatic download. If you play using a mappack please wait a few seconds for others to download the maps after clicking Launch.
IMPORTANT: If you have a router or firewall
You need to have patch 1.03 installed, and your router need to be configured to allow port 7575 UDP open for incoming connections. For a step-by-step tutorial, visit the Router Configuration page.
NOTE: Patch 1.01 and 1.03 are compatible, it doesn’t matter which one you download, but we recommend Patch 1.03 as this may fix the MatchMaker’s directory detection problem, also, if you have a private LAN (router), with a little configuration you will be able to host Internet games.
Things you should know before going online:
The TAB+F11 cheat code box does not work here! There is an Anti-Cheat mechanism in the MatchMaker. Use the M key to chat instead. The “byrne” code word will not work here, so don’t use it unless you want to be kicked from the game for cheating.
Be polite to others and don’t think that someone who plays better than you is a cheater. You should not avoid the experienced players as many newbies do. They WILL beat you, but you should watch their strategy, mix it with your own, figure out your opponent’s mistakes and maybe next time you play against them, you can easily beat him by turning his mistakes to your advantage.